Wednesday, March 1, 2017

St.David's Day



Walking in the main corridor, my head turned as a sweet sound captivated my attention. I followed the sweet sound and found myself in a room full of elderly men harmonizing Welsh ballads.

I relaxed against the enveloping couch and listened to their voices ring in my ears. I cherished in the sound resonating in the coffee house. People stopped to admire the sweet sound that permeated the whole building. 

An old man, with a cane sat still in the corner. You could easily overlook him, for he did not look like much. But everyone's eyes turned to look at the supposed frail man as his voice overtook the room.
He effortlessly harmonized the melody with his daunting voice. People genuinely moved began to stand and clap as his voice carried the last note to a close.

Reluctantly, I stood up to go the event planned for St. David's day. I took one last glance at the rows of senior men. All smiling, all joyous as their voices continued to fill the room. 

I enter the crisp room full of Welsh flags, welsh cakes, famous cheeses, crackers, dragons, and daffodils. Overwhelming pride fills the room as international students are welcomed into Welsh culture. 

We sit randomly as this new day awaits us as well as new people. I sat with three Spaniards and a German girl, extremely friendly and very open about their own countries. We laughed about similar culture clashes we each faced (food, weather, and language). 

Full of new cheeses, crackers, and coffee, we joined in Welsh bucket lists & games while embracing this St. David's day. 

The Texan in me was ready to embrace this new holiday celebration, especially if it meant new food <3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment